Exploring God’s Word
For Grade 3
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path – Psalm 119:105
As children transition to becoming independent readers, we fulfill the baptismal promise to “place into their hands the holy scriptures” by gifting them an advanced version of the Bible. During elementary school years, children are captivated by the Bible’s dramatic stories, the life of biblical times, and learning more about Jesus and the message God has for us through the Word.
The Third Grade Bible Blessing Skipping Stone involves participating in a workshop and a celebration and blessing of children during worship.
Upcoming Dates: Register Online
Workshop Options –
- Sunday, Jan. 27, 11:45 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the Youth and Sports Center (note location change)
- Wednesday, Jan. 30, 5:30-6:30 p.m. in the Sanctuary Room 204
Celebrations Options –
- Saturday, Feb. 2 during the 5 p.m. Great Hall Worship
- Sunday, Feb. 3 during the 8:45 a.m. Great Hall Worship
- Sunday, Feb. 3 during the 9 a.m. Sanctuary Worship
- Sunday, Feb. 3 during the 10:15 a.m. Great Hall Worship
- Sunday, Feb. 3 during the 10:30 a.m. Sanctuary Worship
- Sunday, Feb. 3 during the 5:15 p.m. Depot Worship (Oneka Elementary)
The interactive workshop introduces children and parents to their new Connect Bible, a New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) given as a gift from St. Andrew’s. Topics include an overview of what’s in the Bible, how it’s organized, how to look up verses, and how the Bible came to be. Children receive a Bible carrying bag, bookmark, pen, and highlighter – tools to get them started into a life of reading and studying God’s Word. Children attend with at least one parent/guardian; other parents, family members, and baptismal sponsors (godparents) are also invited to participate.
Bibles are presented to children by their parents during a worship service. Families are then encouraged to read their Bible together at home – or children can read and explore the Bible on their own, using some of the tools learned at the workshop. Children are also asked to bring their new Bibles to church for use during Dock Children’s Education classes.
The Bibles are a gift made possible by the Mustard Seed Fund of the Foundation of St. Andrew’s.
Bible Blessing Information